Offa Bank Robbery: Latest on Ayo Opadokun’s son

…suspect released, say sources
… claim untrue – Police
By Ahmed Ajikobi
About 48 days after the bloody banks robbery incident in Offa, Offa Local Government Area of Kwara State, where scores of residents and policemen lost their lives, conflicting accounts, last night, trailed the whereabouts of Kayode Opadokun, son of National Democratic Coalition (NADECO) chieftain, Ayo Opadokun, who is one of the suspects arrested by the police in connection with the crime.
The 35-year-old Opadokun was rumoured to have been released on Monday, alongside another native of Offa, Adegoke Shogo who was described as a drug baron, Indian hemp dealer and sponsor of the robbery incident.
A source had informed this medium yesterday that the younger Opadokun was sighted at the police headquarters, Ilorin on Monday alongside a prominentpolitician. The source who does not want to be named added that the politician was at the facility to pay a visit to one of the suspects in police custody.
“The release of the duo on Monday (Opadokun and Shogo) was facilitated by some personalities in the state who pleaded on their behalf,” the source divulged.
In the same vein, a police source informed our reporter under anonymity that the suspects have been released but he could not ascertain the conditionunder which they were granted bail when probed further.
“They have been released but I know nothing about the condition for which they were granted bail, he stated.”
However, when contacted on the phone last night, the spokesman of the Nigeria Police Force, Jimoh Moshood through a text message debunked the alleged release of Opadokun and Shogo. He added that the suspects remain in police custody and face investigation.
The text message sent by the police spokesperson to our reporter reads thus: “Good evening my brother, the suspects you mentioned have not been released, they are still in police custody and investigation is in progress. Many thanks.”
A barrette pistol and six rounds of live ammunition were said to have been recovered by the police from Opadokun following his arrest. The former student of Kwara State College of Education, Oro was said to have opened up on the roles he played in the robbery incident.
No fewer than seven banks including Zenith, First Bank, Stockcorps Micro Finance Bank, and Ibolo Micro Finance Bank were robbed leaving about 17 policemen and civilians dead.
…gang leader arrested by police in Oro through concubine – Source
The 35-year-old gang leader of the Offa banks robbery syndicate, Kunle Ogunleye better known as ‘Arrow’ was arrested by the police last Tuesday through his concubine, National Pilot can report.
Ogunleye whose photograph was said to have been captured by the Close Circuit Camera (CCTV) alongside others was one of the four suspects earlier declared wanted by the police force over the Offa robbery incident.
A Police source had earlier claimed ‘Arrow’ was arrested through the confessional statement of ex-SARS operative, Michael Adikwu who was already cooling his heels in the police cell.
Speaking on the arrest, a source who preferred anonymity said the police after arresting Ogunleye’s girlfriend in Ilorin decided to track the suspect to Oro where he was eventually nabbed at NITEL area of the community.
“Ogunleye was in his house last Tuesday when his girlfriend based in Ilorin called him on the phone asking that he should meet her at NITEL area. ‘Arrow’ was disinclined to meet up with the young lady and he told her that he had no money on him but she promised to give him some money.
“He quickly left the house without knowing that policemen had laid ambush for him. As soon as Ogunleye turned up at NITEL beside Oro Eid ground, he was arrested and whisked to Ilorin.”
However, another source disclosed that the suspect may have been implicated in the matter.
“On the fateful day of the robbery attack in Offa, Ogunleye left Oro with a friend to drop his friend’s girl friend in Offa after her visit.
“The picture captured by the CCTV is not his’ and he may have confessed to the crime under duress following the heavy torture meted on him.
The police in a statement on Monday announced the arrest of Ogunleye alongside Adikwu adding that the number of suspects arrested in connection with the Offa banks robbery incident had swelled to 22.
The police in the statement added that, “All suspects arrested among others have confessed” their roles in the Offa carnage.
“They are assisting the IRT teams in arresting more of the bank robbers as the police continue the investigation.”
Ogunleye, who bagged his National Certificate of Education (NCE) at the Kwara State College of Education, Oro in 2006 before enrolling for B.Ed in Guidance and Counselling at Ekiti State University(EKSU), College of Education (COED) Oro campus. He is said to be married with a son.
…Oloro, community disown ‘Arrow’
By Ahmed Ajikobi
Meanwhile the Oloro of Oro, Oba Rafiu Ajiboye Oyelaran II has debunked the claim that Kunle Ogunleye, better known as Arrow is a native of the community.
Speaking with our reporter on the telephone on Tuesday, Oba Oyelaran challenged anyone who linked the suspect to Oro to come forward with the name of the compound he hails from or any of his relative in the community.
The Oloro added that various apex groups in the community will come out with their position on the erroneous information.
In the same vein, the President of Oro Community, Chief Bode Alayoku in a statement signed by him and issued in Ilorin yesterday, describe as “misleading claims in some newspapers that Ogunleye is a native of Oro in Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara State.
“Rather, Ogunleye hails from Etan-Ayegbaju in Ekiti Local Government Area of the state. He was only nabbed in Oro by the police in the course of his running away bid from justice.
“We also wish to state further that no family bears Ogunleye in the entire history of Oro town,” the statement said.
Alayoku however added that the people of Oro are generally known to be law abiding, industrious and people who never give in to any form of crime, criminality or deviant behaviour.
“Oro town prides itself in a reach galaxy of retired and serving illustrious sons and daughters in business, industry, the civil service, academia, politics and all other facets of national life.”
The Oro Community commended the police for the speed and efficiency in arresting about 22 suspects in connection with the Offa banks robbery so far.
Similarly, the President of Oro Professional Forum(OPF), Mr Felix Tomori and the Public Relations Officer, Oro Kingdom Youth Forum (OKYF), Mr Toyin Aremu, is separate statements issued on Tuesday, urged the public to ignore the report that ‘Arrow’ as the suspect is known, is an indigene of the community, adding that he was an ex-student of Kwara State College of Education, Oro.
“The attention of Oro Professional Forum (OPF) has been drawn to a report wherein one of the suspects in the Offa banks robbery, Kunle Ogunleye aka ‘Arrow’ was referred to an indigene of Oro.
“We wish to state emphatically that the suspect is never a native of Oro community, we therefore urge The Punch newspaper and other medium to retract that piece of information or have a libel suit to contest with,” Tomori stated.