News

Untold story of New Year eve attack in Ilorin

 

By Mumini Abdulkareem

More facts emerged at the weekend on the New Year eve mayhem at Taiwo Isale area of Ilorin, the Kwara State capital.

Recall that the incident which resulted in the loss of properties and scores sustaining injuries had generated heated debate between the Muslim and Christian community in the state.

The Chairman of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Prof Timothy Opoola accused youths of Muslim faith of unleashing terror on churches, destroying statues and properties in the process.

However, speaking on the incident after the Jumat service on Friday, the Chief Imam of Agaka Mosque, Asa Dam road, Ilorin, Yusuf Murtadoh who represented the state Council for Muslims Organisations (CMO) and Council of Ulammah chaired by Chief Imam, Muhammed Bashir Solih, described the CAN’s account of CAN account of the incident as contrary to what transpired on that fateful day.

While recounting events at the meeting between Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed, the state Director of State Security Service, Commissioner of Police, Lawan Ado, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Nasrul-lahi-li Fathi Society of Nigeria (NASFAT) and Special Adviser to the Governor on Religion, COS Fawenu among others, Imam Murtadoh said it was after the debriefing that the governor discovered that the issue was not a religious matter but perpetrated by hoodlums.

He said, “On Monday, last week, we were told that Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed wanted to see us concerning the New Year eve incident.

“When we got there, we were told that the governor was holding meeting with the body of Christians in the state and we had to wait.

“After he had finished with the Christians, we met him and first to speak was the Chairman of the Quareeb who narrated that on the fateful day around some minutes past two, tear gas canister landed in the midst of the Muslims congregation while praying, a situation that caused pandemonium as the worshippers got injured while scampering for safety.

“He said an asthmatic patient almost lost his life in the process but for Allah that ensured inhaler was available. He also said three pregnant women fainted and almost lost their lives until they were revived. About 30 injured persons that are Quareeb members were said to be admitted at Ilorin General Hospital, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH) and other private health facilities across the state.

He further narrated that about five minutes after the teargas incident, gunshots were heard.

The cleric stated that the head of the vigilante group in the area who spoke in Yoruba before the governor interpreted it in English to the gathering said, around 2:30am, the DPO of Adewole police station called him, and also the head of community police, one Mallam Abdullahi informing him about the incident and the need to assist the police on the matter.

“On getting to the scene, it was discovered that the police vehicle had been destroyed. He said after they visited the Quareeb venue, they met people in trepidation at United Secondary School, Ilorin.

“They went to the church behind them and it was while there they heard the story of two Muslims (mother and daughter) in Hijab who were attacked while going for the Quareeb vigil. The hoodlums accosted them from behind, tore their clothes and ordered them to lie on the road to rape them in public.

“It was the security men from the church that rescued the victims from the hoodlum before taking them to the church premises. It was the action that angered those hoodlums as they descended on the church and other properties around.

“It was the church that called the police who were pelted with stones by the hoodlums on arrival. The police said they arrested about 11 of them.

“The head of the vigilante told everybody at the meeting that the hoodlums told them (vigilante) that they were purposely doing all these because they have been abandoned by the government and they will continue to make the state ungovernable until they heed their call.

Murtadoh however said they were surprised when CAN after the meeting made false claims that it was the Muslims that attacked and raped Christians.

When National Pilot called the Commissioner of Police, Lawan Ado, yesterday, he requested that our reporter come to the office today (Monday) before he would speak on the matter.

Meanwhile, both Christians and Muslims worshipped under peaceful atmosphere with heavy security presence at Taiwo Isale, yesterday.

As at the last count, no fewer than 10 vans of the police and NSCDC were stationed at the entrance of the three churches in the area and United Secondary School – Quareeb Worship Centre.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button